Fair Housing (Housing Discrimination)
Federal, state and local laws promote fair housing and prohibit housing discrimination. The federal Fair Housing Act prohibits housing discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability and familial status (pregnant women and adults who have children under 18 years old living with them). The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act prohibits discrimination against the same groups, as well as discrimination on the basis of age, for people aged 40 and older. Local ordinances in Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton make it illegal to discriminate because of a person's sexual orientation and gender identity.
Examples of housing discrimination include:
- A landlord charging a higher security deposit to families with children
- A landlord refusing to assign a handicap parking space to a disabled tenant
- A Realtor requiring a Latino potential homebuyer to prove he is pre-qualified for a mortgage, but not requiring proof from a white potential homebuyer
- A landlord refusing to rent to someone who does not speak English well
- A landlord requiring a tenant to have sex with him in exchanging for making repairs
- A homeowner telling an African-American couple that her house is no longer for sale, but telling a white couple that the house is still on the market
If you live in Lehigh or Northampton counties and think you are a victim of housing discrimination, call 610-317-5322.
To read the latest articles written by NPLS staff, click on the following links.
FAIR HOUSING FORUM PRESENTATION MATERIALS AND RESOURCES posted on 4/21/2017:
Below are links to our resource area that contain materials from our presenters at the Fair Housing Forum.
Landlord-Tenant Handbook - Spanish version (Handbook)
Landlord-Tenant Handbook - English version (Handbook)
Domestic Violence Victims Reach Settlements in Cases Alleging Housing Discrimination (Legal Reference)
My Treatment Has Four Paws (Legal Reference)
Bed Bugs Handbook - Spanish version (Handbook)
Hoarding Handbook (Handbook)
Bed Bugs Handbook (Handbook)
Family Law Handbook in Spanish (Handbook)
Fair Housing Video (Video)
Select a County to find related organizations and lawyer referral information for your area